Dear Academy Families,
Easter break seemed to have been fully embraced by all the students as they came back to school this week re-energized, full of stories, tanned and ready for the eight-week countdown (give or take a few days) to summer break.
The H.S.A. is currently going through its nomination process for the 2017-2018 school year executive board and committees. Many of The Academy fund raisers as well as student events are only possible through the amazing support shown by our families. I invite you all to please consider one of the many roles involved with the H.S.A., since at the end of every day all that we do is for the benefit of our children. The current H.S.A. board has done an AMAZING job this year and on behalf of our entire school community, I would like to say THANK YOU for all your time and efforts.
This Tuesday, May 2nd, our school community will continue a long-honored tradition of crowning our Blessed Mother in a solemn and beautiful ceremony. Students in grades K to 8 are required to attend and we invite our parishioners and extended families to join us.
Our Students shine…
- Congratulations to many of our 4th-8th grade students as they were recognized for their high placement within the national Catholic Math League Challenge. Our very own Nicholas Romeo placed 1st in the competition for the Grade Four division and was awarded a beautiful trophy.
- Gabriel Doria will be the recipient of the Outstanding Catholic School 8th Grade Graduate for 2017. This is an Archdiocesan award recognizing one 8th grade student from every school who has shown high standards of citizenship, leadership and Catholicity. Gabe has been attending The Academy since PreK-4 and will soon be a freshman at St. Peter’s Prep in Jersey City.
- The forensics team led by Ms. Church had a great year placing in the top tier of schools within the Forensics League, an amazing accomplishment for being our youngest team ever. I am pleased to announce and congratulate 5th grader Peter Muir for placing 18th and 6th grader Kailey Fahy for placing 12th in the League!
- April 28th Mother and Son Gym event at 6 PM with dinner served
- May 2nd May Crowning 7 pm – all students K to 8 are required to attend
- May 5th First Friday Mass 11 am, 12:30 dismissal – all welcome
- May 10th-May 13th OLP Country Fair
- May 10th NO SCHOOL – Archdiocese Professional Day
- May 19th Academy play Aladdin evening performance
- May 24th Academy Summer Reading Book Fair at Barnes & Noble in Livingston
- May 26th Academy Field Day 12:30 dismissal
- May 29th NO SCHOOL Memorial Day Parade and BBQ
In closing, I hope to see you all during the OLP Country Fair which will take place during the evenings of May 10th to May 13th. I also hope that you can spend a few hours volunteering to help make this community event a success and to help out the Johnston family who work tirelessly to run this carnival and raise funds for our Parish and Academy. Plus, it’s a lot of fun too! Thank you in advance for all your support.
Our Lady of Peace, pray for us.
Joel A. Castillo, Ed.S
The Academy of Our Lady of Peace
” How good and pleasant it is, when God’s people live together in unity.”
Dear Academy Families,
As we embrace the season of Lent, The Academy reminds the students during their daily lessons on the importance of reflecting on Jesus’s sacrifice for all of us. Please join our students and faculty for First Friday masses at 11 AM as well as for Stations of the Cross during this time of Lent on Fridays at 2 PM in the Church.
On March 10th, The Academy’s Home School Association will host its annual Tricky Tray gala at The Westin Governor Morris Hotel in Morristown. The annual success of this event truly reflects the giving nature of our families and community. The funds collected at Tricky Tray directly benefit the educational programs that enrich the mind, body and soul of each Academy child. If you have not yet purchased your tickets to this event, please do so as soon as you can as the evening of March 10th is fast approaching. I look forward to seeing you there!
During the current academic year, the School Advisory Board has had many late-night meetings discussing the branding of our amazing school. The school board has decided to work with a branding/marketing company, Sharklo Creative, LLC in assisting our school community in a “face-lift.” This organization is well represented within the educational community, having worked with Oratory Prep, Westmont Montessori School, Mount Saint Mary Academy, and College of Saint Elizabeth, to name just a few. This branding/marketing process will entail three phases with an overhaul of our school website in phase 1. We will continue to communicate on how the project evolves.
Thank you for continuing to be ambassadors for The Academy. New families continue to tour the school and register every week. The strong partnership we have ripples into the success of each child. We could not have success without you. If you have not yet submitted your registration materials to the main office, please do so as soon as possible.
Our Lady of Peace, please pray for us.
Mr. Joel A. Castillo, ED.S
- March 3rd- 11AM First Friday Mass…All Welcomed. 12:30 Dismissal, Aftercare Available
- March 6th- 10th – Terra Nova Testing for grades 2-8. Please be mindful of absences/lateness during this week.
- March 10th- Tricky Tray 6 PM Westin Governor Morris Hotel in Morristown
- March 23 – Family Volleyball Night 7pm
- March 31 – Student Council sponsored dance
- April 4 – Spring Concert
To All Academy Families,
Welcome back from what I hope was a joyous and relaxing Christmas break for all. As the classrooms of The Academy are re-filled, we are reminded how blessed we are to be in an environment like ours, where hope and optimism fill the rooms and hallways. Across our great country, Catholic schools will celebrate Catholic Schools Week later this month. This is a great opportunity for The Academy to showcase our school during this Archdiocesan wide celebration of the many advantages of a Catholic education. The Academy has much to be proud of and it is nice to be able to take this opportunity to promote ourselves to our current families and to our prospective families. The New Year welcomes us all with some great news you might not be aware of:
- Congratulations to our Class of 2017 as they have received acceptances to their top tier high schools. The 8th graders have received over $60,000.00 in merit and scholarship based grants.
- The Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Elementary and Secondary Schools has reconfirmed our school’s accreditation after our midterm report was finalized and received the highest commendations.
- The Academy JV Volleyball team won the 2016 Championship within their league. The Academy girls JV Basketball team won the Championship at the Thanksgiving Tournament at St. Rose of Lima Academy.
- The Academy will be one of the selected schools by the Archdiocese of Newark to pilot the STEM Expo this academic year. We welcome all of you to view the students’ hard work on February 16th. More information to follow.
- The Academy of Our Lady of Peace will be hosting its Annual Tricky Tray Gala on March 10 at 6PM at The Westin in Morristown. We hope to see all of you there. For any further information please reach out to Mrs. Flood at firstname.lastname@example.org
As we plan our activities for Catholic Schools Week, I hope and know we can count on you to be a part of them. The Book Fair begins on Sunday, January 29th at 10am, right after our Academy Family Mass at 9am. The Academy Family Mass will be the opening event for the week’s celebration. I encourage every family to attend this Mass with our school children dressed in winter uniform to showcase our school pride. We will have a reception in the gym following the Mass for all Academy families and prospective families as well. More details on our Catholic Schools Week events will be available soon.
Happy New Year and if you have any questions please contact me at the school’s office.
Mr. Joel A. Castillo, Ed.S Principal
The Academy of Our Lady of Peace